Velotique is a bicycle shop located at Queen & Coxwell - right on the border separating The Beaches & Leslieville. The shop has been around for thirty years. In fact, you may have seen our giant bicycle mural while riding west along queen from the Beaches, or watched some of Bev and Saul’s (the previous shop owners) super instructional youtube videos. In the beginning Velotique only carried bicycle parts, accessories, and clothing - the motto used to be “Anything for a bike”, but since 2013 the shop has greatly expanded. We now have a full service department, a wide selection of bicycles (Fixed gear, Hybrids, Dutch Style, Touring, Cyclocross, Cargo, Folding, Itty bitty baby bikes, and more…) , over twice the floor space so as to provide even more options for gear, and, as a result, we need to bring on more staff to accommodate the growing needs of our clientele. Speaking of our clientele - we’re pretty fond of them, we are a very customer service oriented shop. It’s important to us that everyone feels welcome when they walk through our doors, and feels welcome back when they leave.
Available positions are as follows:
Sales Department Positions:
- Cashiers assist customers by answering questions concerning bicycle accessories (lights, bells, tires, saddles, panniers, racks, clothing, etc…), direct customers to the service department when necessary, stock merchandise, and keep the store organized and clean.
- Sales staff have the same duties as Cashiers, but with a focus on answering questions regarding bicycles. Those hired for this position will find it necessary to draw from their own cycling experiences so as to provide reliable advice to our clientele.
- In addition to these responsibilities, the (Senior) staff member will be providing assistance to the sales manager by placing/receiving product orders, delegating tasks to Junior staff members, as well as opening and closing the cash register. The applicant for this position must have working knowledge of various types of bicycles and their uses, frame materials, geometry, useful/compatible accessories. Although not necessary, it would be useful if the applicant is able to perform basic maintenance and accessory installations (racks, fenders, bar taping, etc…)
Service Department Positions:
While experience and aptitude for bicycle mechanics is beneficial to all of the below positions, all staff are expected to be able to interact respectfully and appropriately with customers in the store and via e-mail or telephone on a regular basis.
- Bicycle builders will be responsible for just that - unpacking and building new bikes for the sales floor. In addition to assembling bicycles these staff members will be responsible for keeping the service department stocked with the essentials (tubes, chains, cassettes, etc..).
- First Tier Mechanics will be required to prepare customer’s bicycles for tune up as well as perform minor service (flat repair, accessory installation, installation of cables and housing, brake adjustments, derailleur adjustments, etc..)
- Second Tier Mechanics will be required to have either received certification from Winterborne, Universal Bicycle Institute, or have at least two years professional shop experience/equivalent knowledge. Theses mechanics will be fully servicing bicycles (tune ups, hub overhauls, wheel truing, etc…)
- The Service Advisor position will meet the same requirements as the Second Tier Mechanic position, but will also have excellent customer service skills, organizational skills, and have experience working in a sales position. The Service Advisor will be the main customer contact point between the service department and our clientele. Duties include assessing bicycles for repair, writing repair tickets, and booking repair appointments.
What you get:
- Training to enhance your existing bicycle knowledge/skills
- An excellent staff discount
- Flexible scheduling
- Potential for growth: possible full time hours, pay raises, next season re-hiring..
- Work in a professional environment with enthusiastic cycling type folks. We’re great, and we’d like you to be part of our team.
What we require:
- Previous Bicycle Industry/Mechanic/Sales experience preferred (1-2 years or equivalent experience), but we are willing to train the right candidates.
- Must be available to work weekends regularly.
- Must be available to work from (March) to (October)
Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Be sure to include the position that you are applying for in the subject of the email. We are looking forward to hearing from you.